Friday, September 18, 2015

Watercolor Butterfuly

I love the My Favorite Things (MFT) company's butterfly dies.  This was another ink smooching technique using Distress Inks by Ranger to create a background.  I used several  MFT Blueprint Dies to create this card.  It was a quick card as well.  The black card stock butterfly was die cut using the Flutter of Butterflies - Lace dies, the word "Wish" is from the die-namics brushstroke birthdays set.
The watercolor paper was first covered with plain water to better able the accept the organic flow of the distress ink water color.  

So what is the ink smooching technique.  I saw this great video by Kristina Werner and have seen Lauren Bassen's video as well.  This is how it goes:
1.  Take a non-stick craft mat (Ranger makes one), pat your distress ink pad directly onto the craft mat.  
2.  Spritz the ink splotches on the craft mat with water.  Side note:  Next time, I'm adding Pearl Effects to my water spritzer for added glimmer.  Can never have to much glimmer & glitz in my book.
3.  Here's the fun part.  Take a manageable piece of acetate, or clear packaging that you get when you purchase  photopolymer stamps.  Use the outside plastic NOT the sheets that your stamps "live" on.  
4.  Take the piece of acetate with both hands and place it on top of the distress ink splotches.  The ink gets picked up onto the plastic and now place the inked acetate on your still wet watercolor paper.  You can play around and smooch the ink around.  
5.  Continue to build your layers of color until you get the desired effects.  
6.  I use my heat tool to dry the paper and go back to add another layer of color if I want more intense colors.
7.  You can add plain water on top of the water color and wait a few seconds to pick up the water droplets with a paper towel and you get a cool "bleached" out effect.

This card was eazy-peazy, because I had die-cut a bunch of water color paper with my Blueprints and had ink smooched several of these panels.  So, I had backgrounds and card elements pre-cut it was a matter of picking out a sentiment and putting the card together.

Have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment